10.14.2012

Scary/Beautiful.


"Scary/Beautiful" is what Leanie van der Vyver calls her creation. An impossible pair of shoes, that renders the wearer to have to change basically their way of walking, altogether their body contour, to be able to walk in them.
Before you go all "ew she lost her mind again", let me stress this, if it is not obvious to you yet:
THESE SHOES ARE NOT MEANT TO BE WORN.

Like all works of art, they are meant to ellicit a reaction from you, whichever that one you choose at the moment you see them.
Leanie van der Vyver and Dutch shoe designer René van den Berg designed these shoes together, and they serve as a commentary on today's impossible standards of beauty.
"After working in fashion for seven years, and therefore being well aware of the manipulation images in fashion suffer for a perfect result, I still compare myself to them and other current beauty ideals. My frustration with my own inability to overcome these feelings of inadequacy was what brought 'Scary Beautiful' into fruition. The shoes formed part of my graduation project that was a result of my thesis. The conclusion of my thesis investigation was that people are not satisfied with what they look like, and that perfection, according to the beauty and fashion standards, has reached a climax. Humans are playing God by physically and metaphorically perfecting themselves. Beauty is currently at an all time climax, allowing this project to explore what lies beyond perfection. Scary Beautiful challenges current beauty ideals by inflicting an unexpected new beauty standard."
 
I could not say this better myself. I find them scary indeed, but at the same time, fascinating. How we as women go to incredible heights, or lows, to try to reach society's impossible standard. Because it is an impossible standard, for when you think you have reached it, there is another trend, another person ready to point their finger at you and say: "no, you're not there yet." It is a never-ending battle, to be happy with oneself, to learn to truly be happy with oneself.
  


Scary Beautiful (Leanie van der Vyver) from Lyall Coburn on Vimeo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...